Saturday, June 24, 2006

Baby Phat Silver Bracelet

me alone! ... Computer

The average worker spends 2 hours a day answering calls, emails and pointless questions. We asked Tim Dowling, in The Guardian, to write about it - and then we are dedicated to stopping.

Tim Dowling
Friday, June 23, 2006.

Freely translated by Jacinto Dávila.

The morning starts with a black screen. In fact, begins with a warning saying my computer that is - we - in great danger because we do not have antivirus installed, but if we have it. Then comes the announcement of AOL that I put up with me every morning since I bought this computer, but I checked the box that says "Do not show me this again" every morning since I bought this computer.

According to a study reported by New Scientist, this type of distraction naive - emails, calls from colleagues and friends, people dropping by, messages generated by the computer - it takes away more than two hours in a typical workday. Researchers at the University of California found that drizzle Interrupt workers leaves them less than ...

heck, I have 6 mail messages, most Web sites comes from those whose daily summaries I've never subscribed. It's just that my attempts to unsubscribe have not been sufficiently rigorous. One of the first post is one of many "how are you?, Of the person who commissioned this article. I do not want to say that I've spent almost 30 minutes weighing several offers online access to the New Scientist, before my fill and decide it would be easier to go out and buy a copy (NT: lucky ones who can make that.) Then someone from the newspaper called me to talk other things. Where was I?.

Ah, yes. Workers on the culture "always online" today are so hard to concentrate on their main task that many believe they are suffering from attention deficit disorder. I think that's true. At least, that's the impression I left after the pre-trial speed reading the article, but when I returned a little later to find that part of the comment like that .. Wait, is your phone.

I apologize. Fortunately, I detected the instant the sound of an unsolicited sales call like that buy it now, and hung in one blow. I got rid of them before they could say "hello." Meanwhile, anti-virus my computer does not know you have, it has to download some updates. But back to my theme, the complaints of these workers are not very consistent. In fact, the study showed that due to these various distractions, their periods of sustained, uninterrupted, lasting on average only 3 minutes. Another study, produced by the Institute of Psychiatry last year found that the constant interruption of emails and phone calls had a greater effect on IQ than smoking marijuana.

The effect of all this distraction can be severe. Once your attention is interrupted, it takes time for re-adopting its previous line of thought. If you are interrupted while trying to remember what it was supposed to be doing, it is best to leave it off. The University of California found that over 20% of interrupted tasks would not be resumed the same day. The doorbell rang. I'll be back.

was the photographer who came to take my picture for this article, looking distracted while I'm in my letter writing nonsense, some of which will be here anyway. The phone rings while I pretend to talk about it. The guy says, "Is this the ULA FM?". Just when the photographer leaves, I get an email from my wife, who is on the ground floor. It says "Can you print this?". So I called and of course reply, screams me. So let me print what it is and I promise I will return to this topic with a new idea .. I, I - my wife comes up the stairs ..

Before our daily life interrupted our work. Now our work interrupts our work. We have become slaves of the communications technology that was supposed free us of the desire for office, travel, and meeting face to face with those nasty co-workers. There is hope, however, that technology to the rescue again. Communications software designed to prioritize and assess your "interruptibility" is currently being tested by Microsoft (NT: Ja, Ja, Ja, Ja, Ja, Ja!). Could become the electronic equivalent of an executive secretary, isolated from unnecessary or unwanted intrusions.

But the real question is not how we prioritize these interruptions. The real question is .. What am I doing standing here in the garden?. Remember someone knocked on the door with a package and then I talked to someone on my cellphone. I received the first "When you think you can go through here?" Call in the afternoon. Then the dog wanted to go out and refused to accept my pledge later. I also see that I have a bit of thread wound on my finger, recordarde of .... What?

Ultimately, blame technology for all these interruptions or, indeed, ask Him to save us, may be all wrong. Although it is certainly easier to interrupt someone with e-mail than in person, the study by the University of California, found half of the distractions we experience on a typical day of work, are self-inflicted: sending emails, calling, playing with the trash, bothering busy colleagues, or in my case, watching every program from my house, your house , complete.

Back in my office, there are several emails from various companies who have ordered several products, all telling me that I have come to some intermediate stage of the transaction negligible. I get the second "When you think you can go through here?" Call in the afternoon. I looked around for the bit of paper on which half garabatié that brilliant idea I had for the last paragraph. My wife calls me from a shop to ask if I want a new shirt what point did that woman?. You may leave the slip below.

not find it anywhere. But for some reason, I'm back in the garden, listening to the distant ringing of my phone in the office and watching the matica tomato is like hanging on one side. I think he wants to fix it. Ah .. for it must be the bit of wire that was carrying while.

0 comments:

Post a Comment